Monday, June 2, 2008

Rochester

So today was a slower day. Took a bit of a breather after the 9 hour drive last night. My aunt showed me around Rochester during the day, a beautiful city that is so green it doesn't feel like a city. Very hilly, which is a nice change from Winnipeg. The whole city exists because of the Mayo Clinic, so it's neat cause the entire city revolves around medicine, and it is apparent. To an outsider it's like they picked a random profession and dedicated an entire city to it.

Tonight my aunt and uncle threw a dinner party to introduce me to a bunch of people they thought I'd like. All about my age or just a few years older. They were all really cool. One of the couples was really into the music scene. Had a philosophical conversation with a pastor about Nietzsche, good times. And they told me of some people I might be able to stay with in Chicago!

Tomorrow I'm waking up bright and early and taking a guided tour of the Mayo Clinic, then having lunch with my Aunt and Uncle, then heading to the cities (Minneapolis and St Paul) to see the Mall of America and a museum I was told to check out. I'll sleep here that night, then the next morning it's off to Chicago. Like I said, it's beginning to look like I might have people to stay with in Chicago. They might even show me around, but if not I got some good advice on how to see Chicago alone if I have to.

It looks like I won't make it to Toronto in time to stay with the police officer. That's too bad, but I'll still find a way to see Toronto. I have someone I can stay with in Cambridge, and I could just take the Go train right downtown from there.

Loving this trip so far, though already itching to get back on the road. But my aunt and uncle are really excited to have me here, so I decided to stay a little longer. Day after tomorrow, bright and early though, off to Chicago!

1 comment:

Zuzu said...

How funny. The first car accident I ever got into was in Rochester, when I was a teenager. - Zu