Sunday, May 11, 2008

20 Days & Counting

Looks like I'm going it alone. Everyone backed out for different reasons, but I'm determined. I've been wanting this in some form or another for years, I can't put it off again. And the more I think about it the more I'm excited to go alone. The trip is returning to what it was originally meant to be. A spiritual odyssey, an existential exodus. A chance to define myself when no one's looking. To see what I'm made of.

I'm in the process of getting prepared right now. I've bought travel guides to all the major cities I'll be staying at. I'm finding people to stay with wherever possible. I bought a GPS thing for my car, which I immediately realized was the best impulse buy I've ever made, cause it will probably SAVE MY LIFE on this trip.

Another silver lining in me going alone is that means Craig can cover my shifts at work if I need to stay out a little longer (aka need to stay away from work a little longer).

I am really looking forward to this trip. Chad is letting me borrow his laptop (which used to be mine) and I'm paying for a month of hotspot access through telus, so I'll be updating this blog often. This trip will produce LOTS of photography too, no doubt. So I'll be updating my flickr often as well. I'm even considering buying a new lens before I go, the Pentax 10-17mm. Financially irresponsible, yes, but when ever in my life will I need it more?

So this blog will probably be dead for a few weeks, but check back often once June comes and I hit the road!

2 comments:

lou said...

hey, so the blogging world has sucked you in too! i'll be checkin up on you throughout your trip through this to make sure you haven't been killed, so don t forget to update once you leave or else i may get worried!
(p.s: it's lauren)

Craig A. Bailey said...

Dale, I am very disappointed that I won't be along for this trip... Ultra-disappointed. I hope that you live to go on another one, and that I will get to go on that one.

(ps: it's lauren)